A large part of the plant kingdom depends on efficient pollination by insects. All of them are crucial for plant reproduction, biodiversity conservation and food security for the world's population.
Among the most effective pollinators are bees and bumblebees, since once they are implemented in crops, the quality and quantity of fruit set is optimized.
Although both species fulfill the same function, at OpenNatur we are committed to pollination by the bumblebee(Bombus terrestris) because of its advantages in the field.
The introduction of pollinating bumblebees (TRIPOL and NATUPOL) in fruit growing areas is the best strategy to ensure high-yielding production.
Because Tripol contains three colonies of bumblebees, the hive is particularly suitable for crops with a flowering period of up to eight weeks.
Tripol hives are easily transferred to another crop or plot.
Natupol is not just a bumblebee, it is a reliable solution that guarantees maximum pollination, even in the most unfavorable situations.
Our efficient bumblebees, combined with tailor-made technical advice, allow you to optimize performance and obtain proven profitability.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Working temperature 8-32ºC. They fly in rain, light winds and low light. Ideal for the first blooms.
- Displacement around a 150m diameter hive. They do not move to adjacent crops or wild flora.
- Pollination by buzzing. More erratic flights visiting more flowers on different trees (ideal for cross-pollination).
- Very hairy body and greater adherence of pollen.
- Less aggressive. They do not attack in groups.
- Combined use with bees. It allows to obtain good pollination and fruit set in case of bad weather when the bees are not working. When the weather is good, both species fly without conflict.
- Bumblebees are generally peaceful and only sting if they feel threatened, to protect themselves or the hive.
- In case of a sting, they inject a venom that will cause inflammation, redness, itching and momentary pain.
- In people, the pain of this sting is usually brief but intense and gradually disappears.
- Only 1% of cases usually develop an allergic reaction to their venom. In this case, go immediately to a hospital or health center.
- Savings in labor costs.
- Improvements in fruit quality.
- Increased production.
- Pollination less depending on climatic conditions or native pollinators.
- Reducing the amount of pollen in the greenhouse provides a better working environment.
- The immediate introduction of bumblebee hives in fruit-growing areas is the best strategy to ensure high-yield production.
- OpenNatur as a Koppert distributor offers with the products TRIPOL and NATUPOL, bumblebee pollination systems, suitable for outdoor and greenhouse crops. It can be introduced in the crop up to four or five days before the beginning of flowering.
- They fly when it is cold, hot, rainy or cloudy.
- They fly in winds of up to 70 kilometers/hour and the bees stop flying when the wind exceeds 30 kilometers/hour.
- They are safer for farm workers because they are less aggressive, do not attack in solidarity and rarely sting.
- They seek pollen more than nectar and transfer more pollen to the pistils with each visit.